vendredi 18 juin 2021

Chimène van Oosterhout's latest news: Photo session for VROUW magazine / @sharethemicnownl with Fabienne de Vries

* On June 12th, Chimène van Oosterhout posted on Facebook and Instagram pictures of herself taking part in a photo shoot and an interview for VROUW magazine. The end result will soon be published.



* Two days ago, Chimène teamed up with media personality and coach Fabienne de Vries for the #ShareTheMicNow campaign. Click here to listen to their conversation.


What Is #ShareTheMicNow? 

In the wake of George Floyd's death last year, a social media campaign called #ShareTheMicNow started in the USA. African-American female activists, celebrities, entrepreneurs and journalists united with white female performers, celebrities, fashion designers and athletes on Instagram

This beautiful campaign also inspired Dutch female celebrities and entrepreneurs. Last year, as a multicultural, humanist and independent woman, Chimène decided to collaborate with novel writer Susan Smit. Read the article mentioning this initiative posted on June 21st, 2021: All About LUV' (past, present, future and more): Chimène van Oosterhout: Life after Luv' (luvgirlgroup.blogspot.com)

This year, the former Luv' singer shared her experience with Fabienne de Vries

Chimène had an Indian-born grandmother from Calcutta and a Creole grandfather on her mother's side. Her father is a white Dutchman. She lived in Curaçao until age 7. 

"I felt discriminated at age 7 when I arrived in the Netherlands. I lived in a village called Bergeijk, North Brabant. In the schoolyard, the other kids were insulting me. I heard racist remarks. I asked my mother what happened. She said: "These children make these remarks because you are VERY special!", Chimène told. "I could handle these insults but I could not stand the exclusion. It was painful and it was my first experience of racism," she added. Chimène explained that she had support from a very good friend at the time. 

She also told what she had been through when she worked in South Africa. "I was there with an all-white crew. Some people asked me: "Are you the nanny?"...Later other people gave me their empty glasses expecting me to serve them drinks as if I was a waitress," she said. 

"I visited the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg. What an experience! I saw pictures of the riots and the oppression. My white colleagues realized what it felt like being coloured or black," Chimène asserted. 

The multitalented TV personality also mentioned the story of her son Lyam who also experienced racism to a lesser extent than her. 

When asked if Chimène did something to protest against Apartheid, she answered: "No I didn't. Before 1992, I refused to go to South Africa due to Apartheid. This terrible law was abolished on February 11th, 1992 (on my birthday). I've been there four times. The TV production companies I worked for had a good rule: For every white people working there, three Black people were recruited at the same time. No matter if it was the catering, the filming, the lighting..."

Chimène later discussed other issues related to racism (the use of words "Black", "White", "Halfbloed" (a Dutch word for multiracial people), the launch of a Dutch broadcaster named Zwart (Black)...).

Here's how Chimène reacted to the Zwart broadcaster that is about inclusivity and people of all skin colours: "Would you like a channel called Blank (White in Dutch)? There is no broadcaster called like that...Once I was asked to be the "Black female entrepreneur of the year" and I refused it. I wanted to be the "Female entrepreneur of the year" instead. I didn't want to be labelled due to my skin colour... I don't want a Blank or Zwart network. I prefer a channel about diversity!"

Fabienne asked Chimène about Dutch politician Sylvana Simons. "I understand her fight. But by being aggressive, it brings more violence instead of brotherhood. It's a touchy issue," Chimène asserted. 

Miss van Oosterhout believes in education and communication to improve the situations related to racism. 

Source: Chimène van Oosterhout on social media (Facebook, Instagram)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire