vendredi 25 août 2017

We Luv' Ria!!!

My Interview With Ria Thielsch

Photo courtesy of Co Rnz

Today Ria Thielsch is celebrating her birthday. As we say in Dutch: Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag! 

Because of this special day, I asked the Luv' lady if she wanted to be interviewed for my site. And you know what? She accepted gladly. Two days ago, I phoned her and she answered my questions.......Thanks Ria for making it possible. 

A great big up to Marco Rens for your never-ending inspiration and the fabulous pictures that illustrate this article.

Ralph: You were born in Manokwari, West Papua/New Guinea. How old were you when you moved to the Netherlands? What kind of upbringing did you have?

Ria: I was 10 years old when I settled down in Holland. My parents were religious, protective, fair, strict and loving. I was happy with them and my siblings (my brother and my three sisters).

Ralph: As a child and teenager did you dream of a career in show business?

Ria: No, not at all although I took dancing lessons. 

Ralph: When and how did you become a model? 

Ria: My older sister was already a model when I was 17 in the late 1960s. It was via her that I started modelling. We even worked together. At that time, British model Twiggy was a global sensation. 


Ria and her sister in the 1970s 

Ralph: Which advertising campaign are you the proudest of?

Ria: I couldn't name one in particular because I liked them all. As long as it was fun and that the team spirit was good, I went for it. All I can say is that when I worked for a fashion brand (no matter which one) I devoted myself entirely to it. 




Ralph: How did you become a Luv' singer?

Ria: I was very experienced before Luv'. I started modelling at a young age. I was a mother when I was 23. I also took a secretarial course and I also did administration work. I've always been an independent woman. Luv' is one of the numerous aspects of my life.

My first encounter with Luv' dated back to the time I was a limbo dancer and a member of "Ricardo & The Flamesin 1979. We released a single which flopped. 


Front cover of the "Trinidad" single by Ricardo and The Flames - released by Mercury Records in 1979


We appeared on the same TV show as Luv' in Switzerland. This is when I saw Patty, José and Marga with their manager Pim ter Linde for the first time. We lunched backstage with all the artists and they sat in front of me. They were staring at me and I asked a colleague: "Who are they? Why are they looking at me like that?". "This is Luv," she answered. "Oh, I've never heard of them," I replied. I didn't know them and I didn't listen to their music. I listened more to American and English bands (like Dire Straits, for example). I danced on weekends and I worked as a full-time model. 

After Patty left Luv' in the summer of 1980, Pim contacted me because the group still had legal obligations. He remembered our above-mentioned meeting in Switzerland. The owner of a club in Zevenhuizen threatened Luv' to start a legal action if they did not perform. To avoid this penalty, a new girl had to be recruited. I had an audition. I had to sing a Linda Ronstadt's song. Piet Souer (who co-wrote Luv' songs with Hans van Hemert) accompanied me on the guitar. My first performance with Luv' in Zevenhuizen on August 22nd, 1980 was supposed to be a one-off. Finally, I was allowed to be a permanent member of Luv' in September 1980 after Patty's lawyer announced that she would not come back.



I was officially introduced to the public when the single "My Number One" came out. It became a Top 5 hit. We proved that we could be successful without Patty




Ralph: Were there rules to follow as a Luv' singer? 

Ria: Yes of course. Our manager Pim was strict. We had to be glamorous and good-looking. In addition to Luv's costumes for TV and live shows, I received a monthly allowance for clothing to always look stunning. 



Ralph: What did you do after Luv's first breakup in 1981?

Ria: I had several offers to continue in the music business but I preferred modelling. The fashion industry is more my world than music. I worked as a model until I was 40. I've always looked younger than my age. Maybe it's in my genes. Haha. That's why I kept on working for photo shoots and fashion shows for a long time. 


Ria in the 1980s

Ralph: You were even in charge of Luv's styling in 1990 and 1991 when Luv's lineup consisted of Marga Scheide, Diana van Berlo and Carina Lemoine. How did it happen?

Ria: I collaborated with "Marga's Luv" as I went through a transition. I was about to stop my modelling career and I wanted to go on in the fashion industry but differently. I started to promote ready-to-wear brands. I was still in touch with Marga. She asked me if I could select costumes with her for the group because of my expertise. 


Marga Scheide, Ria Thielsch, Diana van Berlo and Carina Lemoine in 1990

Ralph: Why did you accept to join Luv' again in late 2015/early 2016?

Ria: After the turmoil due to the ban of Luv's photo book two years ago, a German talent agency got in touch with Marga to book Luv' for shows. Because Marga and José were not on good terms with Patty, I was asked to join the ladies. We were preparing a comeback for months and I had to keep my mouth shut. Then we officially announced our reunion in De Telegraaf last year in March. We did it because of the fans and the fun we have to perform on stage. I'm glad we did it because the atmosphere is peaceful within the group.





Ralph: What are the differences as a Luv' singer between 1980 and the current situation?

Ria: In 1980, our record company wanted us to sell lots of records. We had to be a hit machine. At the time the music industry was powerful. We were chauffeured in limousines. We had bodyguards. We were supposed to act like pop stars. We had to obey our manager. Now our main motivation is "fun, fun, fun". We do what we want to do. There are no tensions anymore. 

Ralph: Do you still work in the fashion industry in addition to Luv'?

Ria: No, Luv' is all I do professionally at the moment. I enjoy it a lot, of course. I also like the moments I spend with my family and friends. I'm a very down to earth person. I don't consider myself a celebrity although I sing with Luv'

Ralph: What are the plans for the future? When will Luv' stop?

Ria: We have shows planned for 2018. We've decided to go on as long as we have fun. We are in our 60s so we see things differently than 35 years ago. Que sera, sera....Maybe we will stop in one, two, three or more years. We don't know. We have nothing to prove anymore. We are not under pressure. 

Ralph: You know I'm French. Which French singers do you like?

Ria: I love Sylvie Vartan. I like her voice and she looks absolutely fabulous. I like Edith Piaf......Allez venez Milord!!!! Aaah!!!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire